W Fort Lauderdale is going green! We are taking necessary measures to move towards a more sustainable environment. Our Make a Green Choice program even lets guests get in on the action by offering SPG Starpoints® when you choose to participate in green practices during your stay! Please check back often as more initiatives are currently in development. Learn more about our green initiatives below.
Energy & Water Conservation
- High Efficiency lighting in guestrooms and public areas
- Our Room Stylists use daylight while cleaning to the extent possible (in lieu of electric lighting) and close sheers and black out shades when done to limit heat/cooling loss
- Water conserving faucet and shower fixtures in all guest rooms
- Occupancy sensors turn off lights in guest room closets
- Regular preventive maintenance is practiced monthly to ensure peak green efficiency
- Make A Green Choice program rewards guests for choosing to conserve natural resources in their guestroom (learn more below).
Waste Minimization & Environmentally Responsible Purchasing
- Appropriately recycle hazardous/controlled waste management
- Keen To Be Green program encourages recycling in all guestroom and backstage (back-of-house) areas
- Use of environmentally-friendly office supplies when available
- Sustainable food and beverage options offered on all hotel menus
- Elimination of all Styrofoam packaging
- Implementation of Clean The World program to recycle all unused bathroom soap amenities after guests departure.
- Program donates recycled bath amenities to charitable organizations benefiting impoverished communities world-wide.
Enhanced Indoor Environmental Quality
- Utilization of non-toxic and environmentally friendly pest management materials
- Use of low-emitting VOC materials, such as paints, flooring and furniture
- Implements green housekeeping procedures to ensure housekeeping personnel are appropriately trained in green housekeeping practices including using environmentally sound cleaning products
- Follows green cleaning product guidelines set forth by the brand
- Checks for light bulb functionality during dusting
- Building Management System that adjusts to Co2 levels in occupied spaces to conserve energy throughout the property.
- Offer meeting attendees alternatives to plastic water bottles and Styrofoam to other biodegradable or energy reducing materials
- Provides online sales tools (charts, floor plans, brochures) to eliminate paper consumption
- Uses energy-efficient digital signage in and around meeting spaces
- Purchases, where cost-effective, office copy paper which meet, at a minimum, post-consumer recycled guidelines
- Incorporates sustainable food products into banquet menus whenever possible, including but not limited to produce, meats, dairy, eggs and seafood as well as fair trade products such as coffee, tea, cocoa and sugar
- Provides a post-meeting report (Meeting Impact Report) for groups of 100+
MAKE A GREENER CHOICE PROGRAM
Making a difference is easy at W Fort Lauderdale - not to mention rewarding! For each day you decline housekeeping service, we'll reward you with 500 Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints® (except day of departure) redeemable for future stays at any Starwood hotel. The less water, energy and other resources we use, the more there is to go around. To opt into the program, simply request participation at check-in.